It’s time to put in the laundry. The beginning of the school year marks the end of the holidays for many families and the mountains of clothes accumulate. A moment that also coincides with the beginning of the wardrobe change, so It is a somewhat different laundry.
That is why we are going to see a series of tips that the OCU launches to wash all those clothes in the washing machine (those from the summer and those from the change of season) achieving a satisfactory result and also try to save energy and money.
Take care of your clothes, first thing
According to the well-known consumer organization, put out the laundry when the month of September arrivesupon returning from vacation and coinciding with the start of the school year, makes it advisable to follow a series of guidelines.
The first step is get rid of sand that arrives traveling on clothes. To do this you have to start by packing your suitcase and nothing better than separate clothes that you have used or not with plastic bags or placing it in different compartments. Clean clothes always on top.
When removing clothes from the suitcase, in the case of those that may accumulate sand or are dirty, it is important to remove the sand by shaking it. It is also important to clean the bottom of the suitcase to remove any sand that may have accumulated. In the case of clean clothes, it is important to air them before putting them in the closet.
If the clothes are heavily soiled with sand and difficult to clean with the above methods, you can use a vacuum cleaner with a brush nozzle or upholstery nozzle. Vacuum the surface of the garment to remove any loose sand. Make sure you do it carefully so as not to damage the fabric.
If the sand persists, you can use a soft brush, such as a clothes brush or soft bristle brush, to gently scrub the surface of the garment and remove embedded sand. Do it with gentle movements so as not to damage the fabric.
Remember that It is important to remove as much sand as possible before washing clothes in the washing machine, as sand can damage the washing machine and clog its filters. Additionally, washing clothes with sand can cause other clothes to be affected and cause sand to build up in the washing machine, which can be difficult to clean.
When putting it in the washing machine
When putting it in the washing machine, It is important to classify clothes based on fabrics and colors. You must always observe the labels of each garment to use the stable washing program and not cause damage to the fabric.
For swimsuitsthe ideal is to choose a cycle for delicate clothes and preferably use cold water
Separate and sort dirty clothes by colors and fabrics following the manufacturer’s instructions on the label to select the appropriate program in the washing machine (never higher than 30º) to avoid damaging the fabrics. Remember that you should never put them in the dryer.
Beach towels are another item that should be washed separately, as They are usually stiff as a result of accumulated saltpeter.. Once you have shaken them to remove the sand, you can soak them in warm soapy water for about 30 minutes before putting them in the washing machine. In this case, the appropriate program is about 40º with fabric softener.
Lastly, and if you have rubber flip flops to wash, you can do it by hand with soap and water and then let them dry completely to eliminate traces of moisture and so that they do not take on a bad smell.
If, on the other hand, you come from the mountains, you may have worn trekking boots. For proper cleaning, it is advisable to first remove the insoles and remove any traces of dirt with a brush. Then place the boots and laces in a washing bag and select an appropriate wash cycle for washing shoes in the washing machine.
Save with the washing machine
Using your washing machine efficiently can help you save water and energy, which benefits both the environment and your utility bill. Here are some tips to use your washing machine more sustainably:
- Washes full loads: Fill the washer with as much clothing as possible without overloading it. This maximizes water and energy efficiency, as washing a full load uses fewer resources than doing several small loads.
- Use efficient washing programs– Most modern washing machines have wash settings designed to save energy and water. Use short, low-temperature wash programs whenever possible. For most everyday clothes, cold or warm water is sufficient for good cleaning results.
- Pretreat stains: If you have stained items, treat the stains before washing them instead of washing the item multiple times. This can prevent you from having to use additional wash cycles.
- Adjust the water level: Some washing machines allow you to adjust the water level manually. Use just the right amount of water needed for the load you are washing. It is not necessary to fill the washing machine to the top if you do not have a full load.
- Use detergent sparingly: Do not use more detergent than necessary. Excess detergent may require additional rinse cycles to completely remove it, increasing water and energy consumption.
- Keep the filter clean– Clean the washing machine filter regularly to prevent it from becoming clogged. A clean filter allows the washing machine to work more efficiently.
- Efficient centrifugation: Use the highest spin speed that is safe for your clothes. This helps reduce the amount of water trapped in garments, speeding up drying time.
- Dry in the open air: If possible, air dry clothes instead of using a dryer. Sunlight and fresh air are free and environmentally friendly.
- Keep your washing machine in good condition– Perform regular maintenance on your washing machine to ensure it is working efficiently and without leaks.
- Program the start of the washing machine– Some washing machines have the function of scheduling the start of the cycle so that the clothes are ready at a convenient time. This can help you take advantage of lower energy rates if your electric service provider offers them at specific times.
Following these tips, you can use your washing machine more efficiently and reduce your ecological footprint, as well as your energy bill.a
Cover image | RDNE Stock project
In Xataka SmartHome | Putting on the washing machine saving on the electricity bill: these are the keys to achieving it