Are you a Disney Plus subscriber? Be careful, Disney will change its account sharing rules and charge you if you do. Here’s everything you need to know about this measure which will come into force later this year.
No more free Disney+ account sharing! The streaming platform has announced a new policy to combat this practice, starting in March 2024. Users will have to pay extra to add additional users to their account or purchase an individual subscription.
Disney+: end of free password sharing, towards a new paid model?
Disney+ ends free password sharing and announces new policy to combat this practice. Starting next month, accounts suspected of abusive sharing will be offered two options:
- Take out an individual subscription for people outside the household.
- Pay an extra fee to add additional users to their account.
The price of the license has not yet been announced, but it should be similar to that of Netflix, which charges €5.99 per month per additional user. Disney was inspired by the strategy of its competitor and thus hopes to increase its revenues and slow down the loss of subscribers.
The new policy will come into force gradually, from March 14, 2024 for existing customers.
Already very mixed reactions
Disney has already started testing the new policy in Canada and received mixed reactions. Some users expressed their dissatisfaction, while others understood the necessity of this measure for the sustainability of the service. The firm did not hesitate to send threatening emails to the most recalcitrant.
It remains to be seen whether Disney Plus’ new password sharing policy will be effective and whether it will allow the company to achieve its financial goals. In the meantime, users who currently share their account will have to choose between paying extra or resigning themselves to no longer enjoying Disney+.
Moreover, Mickey’s firm also intends to monetize its streaming service in other ways:
- Launch of a Hulu option on Disney+ in a single application next month.
- Creation of a new sports streaming service in joint venture with Warner Bros. Discovery and Fox.
Meanwhile, illegal downloading is experiencing unprecedented success. The reason: the proliferation of streaming platforms, the increase in the price of their subscriptions or the appearance of offers with advertisements, pushing some to turn to illegal solutions.
- Disney will charge for streaming account sharing starting March 2024.
- Disney wants to limit account sharing to its household and encourage borrowers to subscribe.
- Disney is following Netflix’s lead and hoping to increase revenue.