How to delete your Instagram account? If you want to move away from the social network owned by Facebook, here is how to delete your profile while keeping your photos.
If you want to take a break from your social media and in particular Instagramyou can completely delete your account. The social network owned by Meta (formerly Facebook) allows you to deactivate your account or completely delete it with all your data in just a few clicks. Here’s how to do it and above all, how to download all your photos, stories and comments from Instagram upstream, before closing the door.
Read: Instagram, Facebook: this beloved function risks being deleted.
First of all, it is necessary to save photos linked to your account Instagram if, however, you wish to keep them. There are several solutions for this and the first is the simplest. It consists of using a method that Instagram offers, without going through other third-party services.
- Open the Instagram app on your phone.
- Select profile icon at the bottom right of the app, then tap the menu button at the top right, the three horizontal lines.
- Choose Settings at the top of the list.
- Select Security.
- Touch Download data.
- Double-check your email, so that someone else doesn’t receive your precious Instagram data. Then press Request a download.
Wait a few seconds and select Finished. Your data will be sent to you by email within 48 hours. In our case, we received them in less than 10 minutes.
- If everything went as planned, you will receive an email similar to this one from Instagram. Continue, preferably, on a browser from a PC or Mac.
- Click on Download information. This will open a tab on your browser that will ask you to log in to your account.
- It’s not finished: on the browser, finally click on Download information to download your data.
On your PC, Mac or smartphone, you will find a folder named with your username and a series of numbers. All your data is there. To find your photos in the folder tree, go to media > posts. There you will find a whole series of folders including your images sorted by date. Note that all your stories are also found in media > stories.
Alternatively, you can use third-party apps like Instaport. This is a site allowing you to download all photos posted online on the service, in the form of a .zip file.
There are other similar services in the form of applications, Instabackup for macOS, InstagramDownloader on PC. However, choose the official route to prevent your data from ending up (again) with someone else.
Read: My Instagram account is no longer accessible: how to recover it?
Your photos are warm, your stories too. All your Instagram data is, by the way. You can now delete your Instagram account with complete peace of mind. How ? Follow the leader. Here is how to delete an Instagram account from a smartphone, knowing that the process is strictly the same on a PC or Mac browser.
- Open your internet browser favorite like Safari, Firefox, Edge or Chrome.
- Log in to your Instagram account.
- Go to this address (or copy and paste the following URL into your browser: https://www.instagram.com/accounts/remove/request/permanent/).
- Select the reason for deleting your account (privacy issue, takes too long, etc.).
- Enter your password.
- Click on Delete (account name).
And now, voila. Initially, your Instagram profile and all your account information will be hidden for 30 days.
The deletion process can then take up to 90 days. Then, your account will be permanently deleted. But since you followed this tutorial seriously, you have already downloaded all your Instagram data upstream, so there is no risk of losing anything.
Once your account is deleted, you can register again with the same username or add that username to another account as long as it hasn’t been taken by a new Instagram user.
See also: Instagram: how to activate two-factor authentication?
- From your smartphone browser, click on this link.
- Select the reason for suspending your account from the list.
- Enter your Instagram password.
- Confirm the deletion of your Instagram account.
- On your iPhone, go to the Instagram app.
- From your profile picture, at the bottom right of the screen, tap the three horizontal bars at the top right of the screen.
- Go to Instagram Settings.
- Select the “Delete Account” option.
- Confirm with “Delete account”.
Read: Instagram: how to change your account password?
🧐 Does Instagram keep my personal data if I delete my account?
For 30 days after deleting your account, keep in mind that your content remains subject to Instagram’s terms of service and data policy. However, it is not accessible to other users of the platform.
Now owned by Meta (Facebook), Instagramwhich offers a dark mode, assumes the right to freely use the photos of its members, to modify them, reproduce them or display them publicly, unless the user has decided to switch their profile to private mode.
In itself, everything is specified within the Instagram T&Cs, in the section entitled Your commitments :
“ When you share, post or upload content protected by intellectual property rights (such as photos or videos) on or in connection with our Service, you grant us a non-exclusive, royalty-free, transferable, sublicensable and worldwide to host, use, distribute, modify, perform, copy, distribute or publicly display, translate and create derivative works of your content (in accordance with your privacy and application settings). »
On the other hand, Instagram’s T&Cs specify that the license “ ends when your content is deleted from our systems “. In other words, as soon as you delete your account, Meta (Facebook) no longer has access to your data, including photos and videos. If it’s totally impossible to verify For our part, however, we know thata deletion takes 30 to 90 daysdepending on the speed of their services.
HAS read also > Instagram: how to know who is blocking you?
Download Instagram (222.214.171.124.98)
Play store : (151848023 votes)
App store: (3023613 votes)
- Internet, Photo, Communication
- Instagram Developer